Annapolis- With many apologies to the late Johnnie Cash, the FY 2012 Budget toes a tight line with cuts to make the budget work.
According to the State these are the highlights:
• State budget is more than $34 Billion dollars.
• State tries to close $1.4 Billion shortfall.
• Uses reductions in workforce, makes state employees pay for benefits.
• Counties and cities will not get 100% of state property taxes, state will charge them for the operation of their assessment offices.
Who got lucky?
• The state schools remained at level funding.
• The Chesapeake Bay 2010 Trust will see a 25% increase.
• Community Colleges received an increase.
There weren’t many smiles and a lot of challenges.