Friday, January 14, 2011

Oops…Where is Norman?

Annapolis – On Opening Day, Delegates and Senators are swamped with request, making sure spouses and relatives are in place, and last but not least making sure you’re in the chamber for the swearing in ceremony.

“No I wasn’t in the chamber,” Senator Norman Stone reluctantly told me. Senator Stone a member of the senate since 1967 says, “I just got this new watch (self winding) and it was fifteen minutes late. I was sitting in my officer for two hours.”

Donna L. Horgan, Chief Page of the Senate was the first to recognize the problem saying, “Where is Norman?” The hush following the discovery had several clerks with inquisitive looks.

While congratulations are being made by Senate President Thomas V. “Mike” Miller, in walks the Democratic Senator.

Since Tuesday, I’ve been wondering? By not taking the oath of office is it a violation of protocol not to be sworn in with your colleagues?

Senator Stone assures me he was sworn in, “I took the oath of office with two witnesses present following the session.”


All members of legislature who are duly elected must have their elections certified by the State Board of Elections. They are to take an oath of office and required to sign the official Senate roster.

Two out of three ain’t bad, but the oath? I think that’s kind of important. “In all my years I haven’t missed a swearing in ceremony.”

No comments:

Post a Comment